THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 27, 2008

This Just Toasts My Ass

Court rejects death penalty for raping children

By MARK SHERMAN
The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 25, 2008; 10:13 AM

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down a law that allows the execution of people convicted of a raping a child.
In a 5-4 vote, the court said the Louisiana law allowing the death penalty to be imposed in such cases violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.
"The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in his majority opinion. His four liberal colleagues joined him, while the four more conservative justices dissented.
There has not been an execution in the United States for a crime that did not also involve the death of the victim in 44 years.

Full Story here.

So what about the cruel and unusual treatment of the child? Raped by her stepfather??

9 comments:

Treasia Stepp said...

I am hoping that the rapist gets whats coming to them in prison. Long suffering rape of himself.

Tricia said...

I will never understand why we protect criminals.

kate said...

I agree with you; I don't think the death penalty is too much for a person convicting of raping a child. But I do like how our country works and applaud those who take on the necessary but nasty job of "defending" not "protecting" our criminals.

May seem like nonsense, but they're making sure our democracy work for all of us.

Disagree with the decision? Me, too. Next time maybe we'll get a better attorney in there to represent our views. It's that person's fault he or she wasn't pursuasive enough. Not the other lawyer's fault because he was.

From a former history teacher and all...

Not a Granny said...

treasia-We can hope they all go to general population, but they are usually. Other criminals don't seem to like child rapists. That whole "honor among thieves" thing.

trish marie-you know until I read Kates comment I was of the same mind. Especially considering where I work. But she has made me think, which is really unusual on a Saturday morning, after wine from Friday night! :)

Kate-You're right. If we didn't have the system we have, we probably wouldn't even be able to write about the decisions that we disagree with.

Teena in Toronto said...

I have no sympathy for rapists!

Happy blogoversary!

BlondeBlogger said...

The death penalty is too kind. That's one situation where torture should be allowed.

Check out what this ass had to say about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq-NJ1YQu8M&fmt=18

He should burn in hell.

Anonymous said...

My step daughter was a victim of rape and nobody did a thing because it was in NY and she moved to WI to be with us. WI wouldn't extradite. This was almost 12 years ago. I'm still pissed about it!

Train Wreck said...

Well of course the death penalty is not the right punishment! I totally agree! I mean think about it... It is quick and painless! I think the appropriate punshiment would be to, String them up by their" Calf Nuts" let them "hang" around awhile!! I would have no problem signing that bill! They would not want me on that jury panel!! People are just ignorant!

Ann(ie) said...

hehe. I'm loving cowboys, kids and sunsets!!! A-fricken-men!